So we’ve started a slack community for Maps UI/UX/Carto/DataViz. The group was born after organizing the UI/UX special interest group (SIG) meeting at 2017 Esri DevSummit in Palm Springs. 38 participants - partners, distributors, users – came not knowing what to expect but with questions that go beyond what Esri offers or teaches. So I thought: it takes a community to raise a child...
This slack community is a great place to:
- listen to our partners and users (be interested, not interesting)
- network and share with designers/developers from other mapping companies
- show our great work and cool stuff AND get instant feedback
- help others with their problems
Request an invite at http://www.designingmapinterfaces.com/patterns/join-maps-ui-ux-community-on-slack/ and feel free to forward to your buddies 😉
Please join https://maps-ui-ux-community.slack.com/ and participate. Hope to see you there...
I’m very pleased to announce that Ryan Watkins has joined our UI Engineering team at Esri.
Ryan earned his BS in Computer Science from University of California Riverside and attended the Art Institute in Los Angeles for Game Art & Design. His previous jobs equip him with an extensive background in front-end development (full stack) and hands-on experience in game design (unity).
Ryan is the author of the book "Procedural Content Generation for Unity Game Development"
He has a keen eye for application and graphics design and we are looking forward having him as integral part of the team, division and company. Welcome on board!
Let's start with a warming up exercise: Which of these 2 examples do you think is the best design? A, the airplane cockpit of an A380? Or B, the all-too-familiar Google interface?
Here the video for my talk about best practices for designing map applications on the web from Esri DevSummit 2015.
Every map application has two characteristics in common: it tries to solve a problem, and it needs a user interface (UI) to do so. This session presents best practices for solving well-known design problems and how to create easy-to-use and compelling interfaces. - See more at: http://video.esri.com/watch/4316/user-experience-and-interface-design-for-web-apps
This week Cody Lawson (LinkedIn) joined our team as a UI Engineer.
Cody earned his Bachelor degree in Web Design & Interactive Media from the Art Institute of California. As a freelancer he has helped many clients with his skills in web & graphic design as well as ecommerce & user interface development.
I'm very excited seeing his design and web development skills being applied to designing map interfaces for Esri Professional Services. Welcome on board!
Here is the video from the tech session I held at the Esri DevSummit 2013 in Palm Springs, CA.
The session teaches participants best practices for reviewing, conceptualizing, designing and building user-centered mapping applications in a competitive business environment. Methods, techniques and tools for improving the user experience and designing useful and appealing front-end interfaces will be discussed.
- User-interface, user-experience & usability explained (by Bernard Schokman) - I think the title is misleading, it's more about "Practical design principles for UI/UX/Usability Design"
- 10 Important UI Design Considerations for Web Apps (by Marc Gayle) - try polishing the little things to make your app truly awesome
- Tools for Facilitating Feedback on Prototypes and Wireframes (by David Leggett) - What's your favorite? Why?
- How to Identify the Best Design Problems (by Joshua Porter) - About the importance of prioritization.
- A Guide to CSS Colors in Web Design (by Alexander Dawson) - Once again a great guide by Alexander; contrast, shades, hues, transparency and co.
- 40 Beautiful and Elegant WordPress Themes of May 2011 (by Madalin Tudose) - very nice collection, wordpress has come a long way and so did its front-end designers
- HOW TO: Add the +1 Button to Your WordPress Site (by Christina Warren) - if you like it or not, here is the +1 Button integration...
- Why You Should Buy Your First 5000 Twitter Followers (by Rohit) - ethical or not... love or not love... with a little help from your friends
- So you think you can build a website? (by Vitamin in Talent) - a really handy flowchart to determine if your idea will result in a great website
- The ultimate HTML5 resource guide (by Cameron Chapman) - what else to say? ultimate resouce guide!
- (More) Useful Web Usability Testing Tools (by hongkiat) - What are your experiences with these tools? Which one is your favorite? Why?