Starting into the new year with a short list of high quality links. As always, your feedback and suggestions are greatly welcome 🙂 Cheers!
- Cross Browser HTML5 Progress Bars In Depth (by Zoltan “Du Lac” Hawryluk)
- 15 Web Design Trends to Watch Out For in 2012 (by Jake Rocheleau)
- Profiling CSS for fun and profit. Optimization notes (by kangax)
- Google Maps: Designing the Modern Atlas (by Willem Van Lancker)
- Password strength verification with jQuery (by Jim Nielsen)
- What is an Experimental Typography? Trends and Examples (by Aimee Sway) - beautiful typographic examples.
- Human Behavior Theories That Can be Applied to Web Design (by Alexander Dawson) - what did you say about zombie's?
- What Every Web Developer Should Know About Front-End Performance (by Joel Sutherland) - don't let optimization slip under the table - it's to be taken seriously - start here...
- Access Ability (by the association of registered graphic designers of ontario) - A Practical Handbook on Accessible Graphic Design.
- 24 Ways (by Drew McLellan and Brian Suda) - Holiday season is here and 24 ways gives you 24 articles written by industry leaders. Enjoy.
- Silverlight 5 Plans Revealed (by Tim Heuer) - exciting new features ahead (beta in spring, release probably in Q3 2011) - XAML databinding debugging 😉
- 15+ Free Holiday & Winter Vectors: Winterize (by Chris McConnell) - right in time, 17 vector graphics for the xmas season.
- The Digital Marketer's Master Library (by Mitch Joel) - marketing is part of our daily job/life and this list is incredible - so check it out.
- Australian DDA moves ahead (by Shrirang Prakash Sahasrabudhe) - Australia is now officially WCAG 2.0 for accessibility conformance.
- What Websites Can Learn From Mobile (by Michael Wilson) - funny, but my take-away is that 'constraints improve creative design'
- The Perfect Web Designer Should Not Exist (by Jason Gross) - base your design decisions on your sites' target audience and their goals - nothing else matters... uuuhhhhhhh....
- 97 Things to Know about Usability (by Jeff Sauro) - fantastic, fantastic, fantastic - must read!!
- Top 5 Web Font Design Trends to Follow (by Christina Warren) - WOFF-WOFF, love to hear that dog barking..
- Real Time Web Analytics Services – Best of (by hongkiat) - which web analytics service do you use?
- Guidelines for URI Design (by Jacob Gillespie) - URI structure is primarily important for user recognition and easy of use, search engine optimization is nice too.
- 8 Ways to Make Your Website Mobile Friendly (by Joel Reyes) - isn't it sweet that our mobiles will drive us towards better web development also? Something we should have been doing for a long time already?
- The ADA and the Web: Concerns and Misconceptions (by Jared Smith) - Is an accessibility law for e-commerce coming? Will this take the look of the web back to 1990? Jared has some nice Q&A there...
- Stop Designing Aesthetics, Start Designing Emotions (by John O’Nolan) - Design for emotions, definitely not a new concept but usually poorly covered. John takes a good stab on it.
- 5 Small Biz Web Design Trends to Watch (by Grace Smith) - Minimalism, Unique Photography, Bold Typography, Clear Calls to Action, A/B Testing - what more to say?
- iPad User Experience Guidelines (by UX Magazine) - with the source doc at Apple's Human Interface Guidelines for the iPad
Happy New Year everybody! Hope you are healthy and fully motivated for a new decade of great things to happen. It's going to be great!
Highlights of week 01/2010
Here is what made me happy last week:
- Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why (by Steve Silberman) - Belief is power, color, shape and labeling are important triggers for effectiveness; good article on wired; applicable to web design as well?!
- WAI initiative: Speak up! Tell organizations if their website is inaccessible - Take a few minutes to encourage web accessibility. Your voice counts.
- Myths & Misconceptions About Grid Systems - I'm a big believer in grid systems, but is it a one fits all? Do grid systems benefit each and every development? Is a website less valuable when not based on a grid system?
- Simple Numbers, Complicated Dates: 49 Innovative Calendars (by Michael Poh) - Start the New Year with some creative calendars.
- Web Design Trends and Resolutions for 2010 - A good collection and reflection by designreviver.com
- More Like This: A Design Pattern (by Greg Nudelman) - Design Patterns like 'More like this' help to speed up development, define a common language and should be part of everybody's toolkit
- Drop-Shadows and Gradients: Be Consistent in Your Visual Metaphors (by Nate Eagle) - How to design them correctly, please have a look, no excuses later!