- Real Time Web Analytics Services – Best of (by hongkiat) - which web analytics service do you use?
- Guidelines for URI Design (by Jacob Gillespie) - URI structure is primarily important for user recognition and easy of use, search engine optimization is nice too.
- 8 Ways to Make Your Website Mobile Friendly (by Joel Reyes) - isn't it sweet that our mobiles will drive us towards better web development also? Something we should have been doing for a long time already?
- The ADA and the Web: Concerns and Misconceptions (by Jared Smith) - Is an accessibility law for e-commerce coming? Will this take the look of the web back to 1990? Jared has some nice Q&A there...
- Stop Designing Aesthetics, Start Designing Emotions (by John O’Nolan) - Design for emotions, definitely not a new concept but usually poorly covered. John takes a good stab on it.
- 5 Small Biz Web Design Trends to Watch (by Grace Smith) - Minimalism, Unique Photography, Bold Typography, Clear Calls to Action, A/B Testing - what more to say?
- iPad User Experience Guidelines (by UX Magazine) - with the source doc at Apple's Human Interface Guidelines for the iPad
- The Skinny on CSS Attribute Selectors (by Chris Coyier) - CSS attribute selectors are really useful and I've been using them for ages; here a nice summary by Chris.
- Common Misconceptions about Web Designers (by Shannon Noack) - working odd hours? When was the last time I've seen day-light? 😉
- CSS files downloaded twice in Internet Explorer with protocol relative URLs (by Robert Nyman) - and Robert gives three nice (and trivial) examples on how to avoid it.
- Create a Clean and Professional Web Design in Photoshop (by Waheed Akhtar) - Step-by-step guide for Photoshop geeks. Really basic but a nice start.
- Is Web accessibility a human right? (by Vlad Alexander) - excellent article; and Ian Pouncey's response: Accessibility is a human right.
- How to Make Your Small Business Geolocation-Ready (by Leah Betancourt) - jump on the train of geographically optimized interaction!
- The Browser Choice Screen for Europe: What to Expect, When to Expect It (by Dave Heiner) - Microsoft finally bowed to pressure by the EU (better late than never).
- 25 Beautiful Examples of “Coming Soon” Pages (by Tyler Denis) - get inspired; and Walter offers similar A Collection of “Coming Soon” Web Pages
Happy New Year everybody! Hope you are healthy and fully motivated for a new decade of great things to happen. It's going to be great!
Highlights of week 01/2010
Here is what made me happy last week:
- Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why (by Steve Silberman) - Belief is power, color, shape and labeling are important triggers for effectiveness; good article on wired; applicable to web design as well?!
- WAI initiative: Speak up! Tell organizations if their website is inaccessible - Take a few minutes to encourage web accessibility. Your voice counts.
- Myths & Misconceptions About Grid Systems - I'm a big believer in grid systems, but is it a one fits all? Do grid systems benefit each and every development? Is a website less valuable when not based on a grid system?
- Simple Numbers, Complicated Dates: 49 Innovative Calendars (by Michael Poh) - Start the New Year with some creative calendars.
- Web Design Trends and Resolutions for 2010 - A good collection and reflection by designreviver.com
- More Like This: A Design Pattern (by Greg Nudelman) - Design Patterns like 'More like this' help to speed up development, define a common language and should be part of everybody's toolkit
- Drop-Shadows and Gradients: Be Consistent in Your Visual Metaphors (by Nate Eagle) - How to design them correctly, please have a look, no excuses later!