Posted by Michael Gaigg
- The end of the killer feature (by Scott Berkun) - Scott points out the downsides of upgrades and compatibility; version management across third-party development, huge field.
- The Experience belongs to the User (by Joshua Porter) - about the effects of over-architecting on the actual user.
- How Well Are You Pricing Your Designs? (by Joel Reyes) - usually I consider previous experiences and their workload in hours, plus/minus additional requirments and the client itself (more communication involved, more/less hand-holding required, etc.) and multiply it with a fixed price. That's my total.
- Apologizing like a human, not a corporation (by 37signals) - we all make mistakes, let's start recognizing them and learn to appologize right - great example!
- Defining the Designer of 2015 (by aiga.org) - aiga teamed up with Adobe to take a look into the future. Capture the attention span of a user, huh?
- Destroying Designer’s Creative Block and Unleashing Your Creativity (by Aidan Huang) - Watch my caffeine intake?? Are you kidding me????
- There's no right answer (by Donna Spencer) - Donna mentions some factors for designing the 'better' solution, the successful design will take all these factors into consideration.
- UCD info graphic poster (by Pascal Raabe) - information graphic poster illustrating the underlying lifecycle, methods, principles and techniques in a user centred design process.
- Using Charts and Graphs for Content (by Chris McConnell) - comprehensive overview and discussion of charting and graphing content.
- Considering Prototypes (by Andrew Maier) - prototypes generate context and questions and move teams in the direction of meeting business demands.
- The Frankfurt Kitchen (by Harry Brignull) - about design perfection that becomes counter-productive.
- Design Better And Faster With Rapid Prototyping (by Lyndon Cerejo) - another great blog post about prototyping - don't overdo it and be aware of scope creep - it's a bloody prototype 😉
- Two Beautiful New Mini Pixel Icon Sets (reported by Paul Andrew) - what more to say, go get them.
- UX Lx Wrap Up (by Theresa Neil) - good wrap-up (with links to material) of the 3 day UX Lx conference in Lisbon last month.
- Master user experience design (by Craig Grannell) - inside UX, well-researched and laid out article, good read.
Posted by Michael Gaigg
I'm still feeling enriched by the exciting sessions presented at the Web App Masters Tour in San Diego. Check out Luke's notes of all the 9 sessions presented - fantastic!
- Techniques for Squeezing Images for All They’re Worth (by Ben Gremillion) - image optimization is key to fast loading web sites.
- UX Design Versus UI Development (by Mike Hughes) - who designs and who builds and where do they overlap? Is it about data?
- Board Releases Draft Refresh of Section 508 Standards and Section 255 Guidelines (by Tim Creagan) - a major step towards WCAG 2.0 becoming a law.
- 20 Portable Applications Web Designers Should Have On Their USB Sticks (by Joel Reyes) - go get a memory stick 😉
- Understanding the Power of Social Media with Infographics (by Paul Andrew) - some real gems there.
- Adobe expanding the accessibility of Acrobat and Flash! (by Jeff Singleton) - don't know how they relate exactly to WCAG but surely welcome to see.
- The Impossible Bloomberg Makeover (by Dominique Leca) - a great example of the kitchen-cabinet problem.
- 10 Principles of UX (by Joshua Porter) - very nice top 10 collection.
Michael Gaigg is Lead UI Engineer in Esri's Professional Services Division.
He has been designing map applications for 15 years and is author and curator of UI Patterns for Maps.
- Accessibility (16)
- Cartography (1)
- Code Samples & Tips (16)
- Conclusions (7)
- Design Guidelines (12)
- Designing Map Interfaces (8)
- Go figure (9)
- Good News (29)
- Here and there (31)
- Map Applications (14)
- References (1)
- This Week's Highlights (53)
- Usability & UCD (28)
- Web Design (31)
- Powerpoint Wireframe Stencils as Free Download
- Redundancy is NOT bad!
- 15 Outstanding Examples of Braille in our World
- Dashboard Design
- Esri listens to their Users and changes Pronunciation of its Name
- 10 Webpage Design Lessons learned from a trip to Las Vegas… seriously!