Example of an 'About Us' page from IT Solutions
There are many reasons for improving the usability of your 'About Us' page. Unfortunately many companies, especially bigger and well-known companies, tend to underestimate the value that comes from a well-designed 'About Us' page or simply assume that there is no need to explain themselves to their users.
The 'About Us' page helps to establish and re-enforce Trust and Credibility. Users of different backgrounds may need to know who is behind the content or service. Should I invest in this company? Apply for a job? Write an article about their service? Order a product?
The best news over all is: a simple link on your homepage is cheap and easy and the benefits of a clean and well-structured 'About Us' page outweigh many times the effort of creating it.
Design Guidelines for 'About Us' pages
- Provide clearly visible link on homepage
- Label the link either “About ” or “About Us”
- Present content in ‘inverted pyramid’ layers:
- Tagline: Few words or brief sentence summarizing what you do
- Summary: One to two paragraphs about goals and main accomplishments
- Fact sheet: Section that outlines key points and other essential facts
- Details: Subsidiary pages providing indebt information about processes, company structure, philosophy etc.
- Disclose address