- 15 Responsive CSS Frameworks Worth Considering (by Paul Andrew)
- Complexity and User Experience (by Jon Bolt)
- Origins of the Apple Human Interface
- Internet Visionary Paul Otlet - Networked Knowledge, Decades Before Google (by Meike Laaff)
- The Anatomy of an Experience Map (by Chris Risdon)
- A Complete Color Spectrum of Web Design Inspiration (by Chris Spooner)
Minimalist Web Design: How Minimal is Too Minimal? (by Delwin Campbell)
- 50+ PSD UI Web design elements (by Cameron Chapman)
- How to Develop Your Website’s Tone of Voice (by Ailsa Partridge)
- 25 jQuery image galleries and slideshow plugins (by Cameron Chapman)
- What’s the difference between a Heuristic Evaluation and a Cognitive Walkthrough? (by Jeff Sauro) - great description and overview together with a "What HE & CW have in common" section
- What’s new for designers – Aug 2011 (by Cameron Chapman)
- 40 Absolutely Brilliant Billboard Ads! (by Alvaris Falcon) - yes, simply brilliant, take 1 or 2 minutes and enjoy
- Your Meetings Suck (by Mitch Joel) - Solution: "a meeting cannot exist without a decision to support it that has already been made"
- 30 Beautiful Clean and Simple Web Designs for Inspiration (by Jacob Gube) - inspiration is always welcome, right?
- Strengthening behavioral cues in UX web design with Gestalt principles (by Shell Grenier) - all of reality is experienced and organized perceptually in the simplest and most stable manner possible, web design can utilize this principle
- HOW TO: Get Started With Google Analytics (by Meghan Peters) - Helps you monitor and analyze visitors, traffic sources, content, goals, e-commerce,...
- Usability Testing: What You need to Know? (by hongkiat) - read about how to structure tasks and questions
- 30 Inspiring “About Me” Pages (by Stephanie Hamilton) - yes, get inspired!
- Designing Effective FAQ Pages (by Mohammad Moradi) - use them as a last resort, but most important: make them helpful and not require another FAQ page to decipher 😉
- Observations versus Recommendations (by Harry Brignull) - use the FOG method, mark your statements Fact, Opinion or Guess
- Top 10 Free Source Code Editors – Reviewed (by hongkiat) - a listing of 11 free editors with their Pros and Cons
- How to Spot and Avoid Web Copy that Kills Websites (by Rick Sloboda) - here some downfalls of the often overlooked but actually really important subject of copy on the web
- Login / Registration Form: Ideas and Beautiful Examples (by bellefoong) - a little login inspiration, nice collection
- Progressive Disclosure in User Interfaces (by Alexander Dawson) - nice intro plus advantages and disadvantages
- The 5 Models Of Content Curation (by Rohit Bhargava) - content curation in its various situations explained
- 9 Ways To A Better Interview (by Mitch Joel) - in my opinion it boils down to caring about the other person and the subject and not getting hung up on standard questions and a script
- Tips for Creating an Excellent E-Commerce Website (by Mathew Carpenter) - some interesting tips here
I love colors! I can't get enough of them actually. They inspire me, they give me good mood, they make me smile. So I started collecting them, first in real life - more about that later - and then online.
Now I want to share 16 color combination that are harmonic and that you can use for your next web project:
Happy New Year everybody! Hope you are healthy and fully motivated for a new decade of great things to happen. It's going to be great!
Highlights of week 01/2010
Here is what made me happy last week:
- Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why (by Steve Silberman) - Belief is power, color, shape and labeling are important triggers for effectiveness; good article on wired; applicable to web design as well?!
- WAI initiative: Speak up! Tell organizations if their website is inaccessible - Take a few minutes to encourage web accessibility. Your voice counts.
- Myths & Misconceptions About Grid Systems - I'm a big believer in grid systems, but is it a one fits all? Do grid systems benefit each and every development? Is a website less valuable when not based on a grid system?
- Simple Numbers, Complicated Dates: 49 Innovative Calendars (by Michael Poh) - Start the New Year with some creative calendars.
- Web Design Trends and Resolutions for 2010 - A good collection and reflection by designreviver.com
- More Like This: A Design Pattern (by Greg Nudelman) - Design Patterns like 'More like this' help to speed up development, define a common language and should be part of everybody's toolkit
- Drop-Shadows and Gradients: Be Consistent in Your Visual Metaphors (by Nate Eagle) - How to design them correctly, please have a look, no excuses later!