When starting a new project it will probably take you at least 15-20 minutes of getting your stuff together. Many times I found that exactly these routine tasks are the most annoying which keep us from being productive (and happy). So, go get the html5boilerplate.com and be happy 🙂
This project by 5 driven guys, Nicolas Gallagher, Hans Christian Reinl, Mathias Bynens, Paul Irish, Cãtãlin Mariş, and Divya Manian is a great starting point for any HTML based web development. Simply awesome!
The boilerplate bundle includes:
- Directory structure (index file, img dir, js dir, css dir, etc.)
- CSS reset using normalize.css
- HTML5 feature detection through Modernizr
- Google Analytics snippet (just replace your own id)
- Other really useful tips and tricks for better development
Starting into the new year with a short list of high quality links. As always, your feedback and suggestions are greatly welcome 🙂 Cheers!
- Cross Browser HTML5 Progress Bars In Depth (by Zoltan “Du Lac” Hawryluk)
- 15 Web Design Trends to Watch Out For in 2012 (by Jake Rocheleau)
- Profiling CSS for fun and profit. Optimization notes (by kangax)
- Google Maps: Designing the Modern Atlas (by Willem Van Lancker)
- Password strength verification with jQuery (by Jim Nielsen)
- 15 Responsive CSS Frameworks Worth Considering (by Paul Andrew)
- Complexity and User Experience (by Jon Bolt)
- Origins of the Apple Human Interface
- Internet Visionary Paul Otlet - Networked Knowledge, Decades Before Google (by Meike Laaff)
- The Anatomy of an Experience Map (by Chris Risdon)
- A Complete Color Spectrum of Web Design Inspiration (by Chris Spooner)
Minimalist Web Design: How Minimal is Too Minimal? (by Delwin Campbell)
- User-interface, user-experience & usability explained (by Bernard Schokman) - I think the title is misleading, it's more about "Practical design principles for UI/UX/Usability Design"
- 10 Important UI Design Considerations for Web Apps (by Marc Gayle) - try polishing the little things to make your app truly awesome
- Tools for Facilitating Feedback on Prototypes and Wireframes (by David Leggett) - What's your favorite? Why?
- How to Identify the Best Design Problems (by Joshua Porter) - About the importance of prioritization.
- A Guide to CSS Colors in Web Design (by Alexander Dawson) - Once again a great guide by Alexander; contrast, shades, hues, transparency and co.
- 40 Beautiful and Elegant WordPress Themes of May 2011 (by Madalin Tudose) - very nice collection, wordpress has come a long way and so did its front-end designers
- HOW TO: Add the +1 Button to Your WordPress Site (by Christina Warren) - if you like it or not, here is the +1 Button integration...
- Why You Should Buy Your First 5000 Twitter Followers (by Rohit) - ethical or not... love or not love... with a little help from your friends
- So you think you can build a website? (by Vitamin in Talent) - a really handy flowchart to determine if your idea will result in a great website
- The ultimate HTML5 resource guide (by Cameron Chapman) - what else to say? ultimate resouce guide!
- (More) Useful Web Usability Testing Tools (by hongkiat) - What are your experiences with these tools? Which one is your favorite? Why?
- HOW TO: Get Started With Google Analytics (by Meghan Peters) - Helps you monitor and analyze visitors, traffic sources, content, goals, e-commerce,...
- Usability Testing: What You need to Know? (by hongkiat) - read about how to structure tasks and questions
- 30 Inspiring “About Me” Pages (by Stephanie Hamilton) - yes, get inspired!
- Designing Effective FAQ Pages (by Mohammad Moradi) - use them as a last resort, but most important: make them helpful and not require another FAQ page to decipher 😉
- 10 Intermediate and Advanced Tips from PHP Masters (by Jolie O'Dell) - experts offer their advise; nice compilation.
- Beautiful (Free) Fonts for Titles and Headlines (by bellefoong) - niiice.
- Ways to Horrify Website Designers (by Alexander Dawson) - right in time for Halloween 😉
- Design is Choice (by Dmitry Fadeyev) - Dmitry's take on Google removing the "http://" portion in Chrome's address bar
- The Seven Deadly Sins of Design (by Rob Bowen) - a funny take on seven deadly sins.
- Google Chrome Extensions for Web Design Students (by Julia May ) - Ctrl/Cmd + Shift + J ... that's all I say...
- How to Design the Perfect Business Card (by Rob Bowen) - Great article that serves as categorization and motivation at the same time.
- jQuery 1.4.4 Released (by Addy Osmani) - may I introduce: .fadeToggle() - with 1.5 coming next year.
Anything I've missed?
Post it in the comments or drop me a note.