This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. A real-time integrated augmented reality system to physically create topography models which are then scanned into a computer in real time, and used as background for a variety of graphics effects and simulations. #gottahave
More info about this project: http://idav.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/SARndbox/
- How to Create a Clean 3D Button in Photoshop (by Madalin Tudose) - nice tutorial and result
- Effective Website Help Systems: Tips and Examples (by Mohammad Moradi) - essential tips and best practices for designing effective help pages
- 10 handy jQuery mobile tips and snippets to get you started (by Patrick McNeil) - gotta love jQuery mobile, nice tips for its usage
- 6 Lessons From Jim Collins On Becoming Great (by Rohit) - yes, turn off your gadgets 😉
- Design Beautiful “Coming Soon” Page: 37 Templates & Tutorials (by bellefoong) - simply put: beautiful
- Flashback: Every time you add something you take something away (by Jason Fried) - be aware of it of this paradox!!
- How to Measure the Effectiveness of Web Designs (by Claudiu Murariu) - I'm sure you'll like this one.
- How Does 3D Technology Work? (by Zachary Sniderman) - a little off-topic, but nevertheless very timely.
- Guide to Website Navigation Design Patterns (by Cameron Chapman) - as always, great summary by Cameron.
- 10 Tips for Optimizing Your Website’s Speed (by Raphael Caixeta) - like all the points about "Optimize...", yeah...
- How App-Like Design Can Turn Your Site Visitors Into Customers (by Lisa Wehr) - maybe not the greatest examples but a hint of what apps will mean for design as a whole.
- 10 of the Best Alternatives to Adobe Photoshop (by Rick Valence) - paint.net looks really sharp, great compilation!
- What Is 4G? An FAQ On Next Generation Wireless (by Christina Warren) - prep yourself for the mobile (4G) future.
Michael Gaigg is Lead UI Engineer in Esri's Professional Services Division.
He has been designing map applications for 15 years and is author and curator of UI Patterns for Maps.
- Accessibility (16)
- Cartography (1)
- Code Samples & Tips (16)
- Conclusions (7)
- Design Guidelines (12)
- Designing Map Interfaces (8)
- Go figure (9)
- Good News (29)
- Here and there (31)
- Map Applications (14)
- References (1)
- This Week's Highlights (53)
- Usability & UCD (28)
- Web Design (31)
- Powerpoint Wireframe Stencils as Free Download
- Redundancy is NOT bad!
- 15 Outstanding Examples of Braille in our World
- Dashboard Design
- Esri listens to their Users and changes Pronunciation of its Name
- 10 Webpage Design Lessons learned from a trip to Las Vegas… seriously!