I used to have a rule (you know, a rule helps you solving a problem in your life that you then never have to worry about anymore) that said: never lend a book, always gift it!
I don’t know why or when I stopped applying this rule but my thinking behind it is:
- You value the book but somebody else values it more at this time
- Lending it will consume your energy remembering who you lent it to end when
- The other person constantly feels bad for not returning the book to you up to a point when it becomes real guilt and shame
- The other person cannot really enjoy the book in fear of marking a page or paragraph or leaving coffee stains
So the solution is: Gift the book! In that way both parties feel good.
- Is the Glass half-full or half-empty?
- Imagine You Are Somebody Clever
- 10 Design Lessons learned from my Sons